Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Uh Oh Operation!






















Is that the way that tune goes from the game? Haha! No it was a good operation period here though. We operated oysters Monday-Friday with the help of four Bali technicians. We operated 8,500 oysters in total! The pic above is of our operations site, Molah, where I spend most of my time. It’s a 5 minute boat ride to get over to the site. I had met them before and they were really nice to me this time. I could actually kind of speak with them this time too. Every day I would eat lunch with them and Sugi. Speaking of eating, we have been eating some pretty interesting food here lately. With our local market here going on, the villagers come and we buy what they are selling three times a week. Well we bought a goat this week. Pic above. It was pretty cute, tied up, roaming around by the kitchen. Well the next day it was goat soup! Was kind of good except for the tons of white and black hairs you had to pick out! I was eating it with the locals for lunch and I looked like such a tourist picking out the hairs, they were all just eating it up. Today we bought a very sad looking duck and 3 chickens. Oh and the hairy fruit you see in the picture is literally translated as hairy fruit or rambutan. You break it open and its delicious, kind of like a lychee. Its really been monsooning rain here again! Nuts! Crazy weather all over Indo. One of our ships has an engine prob and the other hit a reef over by Papua New Guinea. I’ve got a leaky roof over my bed and its starting to leak through again with all this rain. Oh man and the frogs are horrible! Definitely investing in ear plugs from home! We drained the pool and this reservior they like and they are still starting up at 6:30 pm. They are so noisy! I am leaving for Bali on Sunday and I’m pretty excited to eat good food again! And that it means I’m getting closer to my leave. I will be doing 3 weeks of operations there and then I fly home on April 8th. Lots to do around here, work wise, before I leave. Haven’t even started to pack yet, that’s so unlike me!


I taught English to all 139 kids last Sunday. Ya no type-o there. 139. We did split them into groups of 3 and rotated our groups around. The older kids were a bit obnoxious. Rude, laughing when someone would answer wrong, and yelling out wrong answers on purpose. I went over introductions and meeting people with them. The elementary and middle school kids wanted to learn a bit more. I started by drawing a picture of a mountain and underwater scene with trees, sun, clouds, fish, crab, etc. We went over each thing and how many were in the pic. Think they liked that. Well then I had the little ones. About 12 kindergarten and preschoolers. So stinkin cute! They really wanted to learn and you could see it when they were trying to say a word, they really wanted to get it right. I went over the numbers 1-10 with them. I will be missing this Sunday with them, I hope they have enough staff to help out with the madness. I joked around that I should put a pillow under my shirt and act pregnant because they were so much calmer and reserved when Lita was around. Maybe they didn’t want to upset the baby and be all rough around Lita. Well that’s all from this side of the world for now. Hope this rain clears up. These small planes don’t fly in this much rain….

No comments:

Post a Comment