Sunday, March 4, 2012

A trip to the beach







































































































Whew I'm pretty exhausted! Busy day today! Had a pretty good weekend all in all. I helped Tomek spawn oysters on Saturday morning and it was his birthday. It was a good spawn and the hatchery staff get so excited to see lots of sperm and eggs come out of these oysters it’s pretty comical. Well since it was Tomek's birthday we all decided to go to the beach after our half day of work. About 6 of the local staff we work with loaded up on motorbikes and we headed to the beach. An hour away with lots of stops along the way. Quite an adventure. We stopped to wait for people, stopped for water, stopped to buy a fish (which had a rope tied to it that we had at our feet on the motorbike!), and stopped to buy some firewood to cook the fish. It seemed like every time we stopped, our group kept multiplying! New workers kept showing up in groups on motorbikes. I rode on the back with this girl that is 3 months pregnant, as I thought this was my safest bet, but she was a speed demon! Always wanted to be in front of the gang. Tomek and I had no idea where we were going or how far it was, we just went with the flow. Which is pretty hard for me to do! My butt was pretty sore though after 2 hours on a motorbike that day though! When we got there, it was a pretty rocky little beach cove area with clear water. One couple was there but I think we scared them away when we rolled up....22 people and a year old baby sharing motorbikes! Nuts! Really fun afternoon though. Tomek said it was one of the best birthdays he has had. We barbequed the fish and corn on the cob, and had some rice. All with our fingers, sitting around with the locals. Very cool. I realized too we are all about the same age 20s and 30s. We did some swimming. I took the baby in the water too and she was loving it. As we ate Tomek got flour and soy sauce dumped on his head for his birthday. Afterwards we had a water fight and people got thrown in. Then the hour trip back on motorbikes with the sunset, the country, and everyone outside in front of their houses or playing in the streets. Very picturesque. Daniel didn't get to go as he had a meeting. I don't think all the staff would have been so chilled out and relaxed if he was there. We should def rent a bus the next time we go though! That night I watched a horror flick with the expats back at the house. Just a good day all around!


Today at 1 a group of the techs and I had to go to the operations site and get ready for the operations tomorrow. Cleaning and preparing oysters. Then at 4 it was time to play with the kids. It was really cool when we first started playing with them in week one. When there were about 10 kids sitting on our porch playing chutes and ladders, really quite, relaxed, chill. Well its a lil outta hand now. 105 kids were here today!! Yeah that's right 105! We were 3 people wrangling 105 kids around for an hour and a half! Basically we split into 2 groups and I had the older kids with Tini and Flo had the younger kids. Lots of yelling I may lose my voice tomorrow. I attempted to teach them the hokey pokey, but I don't think they really got it. Guess it was a lot for them to learn the body parts and then have to sing and dance about it! lol! We went over colors, days of the week, and some weather too. Weird mix of ages though. Some high school girls come and they know everything I'm trying to teach the little ones up front and they aren't really into it. Maybe we will lose a few next Sunday, wouldn't be horrible to lose a few! I tried to teach them What's up? is the same as How are you? or Apa Kabar? But they didn't really get the meaning of the slang, Whats up. I know I always want to learn slang to fit in when I'm learning another language. And I did the cha cha with the huge line of kids on the way out of the gate too. They liked that bit. It’s going to be an intense week of operating oysters, the 4 Bali techs arrived this afternoon. Wish me luck for my first smooth operation period!

No comments:

Post a Comment