Saturday, March 31, 2012

Ready for a break!

Not too much to report from this past week of operations. Its pretty manic as 5 operations are going on back to back with all these checks in between to check the health of the oyster at different points in time. The crew here manages pretty well considering how crazy it is. The Indonesian ops manager, Komang, is really great and knows her stuff. I have been working with her to check up and make sure all these checks get done and things are running smoothly. I picked up a cold mid week. Did I mention before how it sucks to be sick while in the tropics? Well it does! And of course I tried to pack light as I am only going to be here for 3 weeks and then back to the US, well I didn’t throw in all my cold medicines. Now I’m kicking myself for it. Going all natural healing gargling salt water and steaming with tiger balm-like products. You would think I am in a semi-Asian country that tiger balm would be readily available, well its not. I managed to score some menthol inhaler thing and some Vics vapor rub though. I’m trying to take care of myself and get over this cold asap. Think I’m slowly giving it to everyone I work with too. Opps! Nic has the weekend off and I’m here manning the fort by myself while he is gone. If this is how I can help him out and help out his sanity then I will work the weekend for him. He is down in Sanur taking a break. He is going to need it! I’m only here another few more days and its full on operating season here with only Nic and Komang to run it. I have been working figuring out the operating schedules in Alor and another location, Lembata. It sounds like we are going to have a busy few months, transporting gear and people here and there to get these oysters operated. Last week we did two days of xray and harvested some keshis which was fun. Mixes it up a bit. It’s the same routine operating every day. I put together a ranking system of the techs results of the good pearls they operated that you can see at xray. Some girls are really good and always get good results, but others are really dragging. It’s weird as I watch the girls that have bad results do the same exact procedure as the girls that get good results. Nic tried to explain to me that just this one operation is a small percentage of the whole season and when all the results are put together this group of girls still out perform the others.

The weather has been great here! Sunny, cloudless days, cool breeze off the water, but not too rough. Think now is the shift from the rainy season to the dry season. Still in vacay mode and trying to fight it! Seriously, 6 more days of work and then I’m down in Sanur for a day and then off to the ole U S of A (well and the Bahamas). Looking forward to Friday! The end is in sight!! Sorry there are no pics with this post (not much to take pics of!). I am working on an Indo facebook album so check it out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment