Sunday, June 17, 2012

Minggu bagus!

I’m in a really great mood at the moment.  Like really good!  Had a great day today.  Well its Sunday so that’s a given it was a good day off of work.  But also had a good chat with my boyfriend, did some yoga, lounged around all day, and had a great session with the kids this afternoon.  More on that later.  The weeks are going by pretty quickly.  In Bahasa...Minggu minggu jalan oleh cepat.  Ya its a weird language.  This week we were pretty busy.  Moving and consolidating shells one day, another day of Sugi and I recounting several longlines.  I did a dive with Daniel and our local diver to fix two twisted long lines.  On Friday I did another dive today with the diver to check out the number and color code on this long line.  The cleaning boats that clean the lines keep getting all mixed up on the colors and numbers of oysters that are actually on the line.  Its frustrating.  But we can either go with the cleaning boat and raise the line and recount, or dive the line to check the color code and number.  Daniel went to Bali to pick up his wife and their baby and won't be back until Tuesday.  Hoping he will come with my DVDs and some granola!  We'll see though!  Fingers crossed.  Not sure how our sleep will work out with a newborn in the next room, again we’ll have to wait and see.  I forgot to mention in my last post that I have finally made it to the two big supermarkets in our little town of Kalabahi.  No peanut butter, what I was really hoping for!  The way I see it on this island, supermarkets are for luxurious items and things you can splurge on.  Food staples, like chicken and fish, you get in your local village.  Like in these supermarkets there is a whole aisle of potato chips, and a whole separate aisle of cookies in the five aisles of the store!  I have bought a few nice boxes of apple juice and cans of fruit cocktail which are amazing.  It’s the little things!  lol 
I have become obsessed with the song Somebody that I used to know by Gotye.  Its stuck in my head all day every day!  Finally broke down and got the song for free on Itunes.  I think the song is on the radio at home?  I’m crocheting a new beanie now and starting from the top so we'll see how it goes.  I tried to learn from this other lady on youtube, but had to go back to my old standby Bob Wilson's channel on crochetting on you tube.  She is great.  I’ll stick with her from now on.  She always uses bright colored yarn so I can see the stitches and goes really slow.  The weather is getting really nice here.  No rain, less windy at midday, and the water is really clear now too.  
So with the kiddos today we learned about clothes and things you wear.  Thought about drawing a picture of a girl on the board and describing what she is wearing, but then I had a better idea!  First we went over the basic words, like shirt, shorts, pants, shoes.  Earlier I had cut some non-provocative pics out of my magizines and we pointed out what the people were wearing and what color things were.  They were really getting it.  Then!  I told them there was a small test and I would be right back.  I put on a good 7 layers of clothes in my room, and then they had to say and write down everything I was wearing.  They really liked it and thought it was funny I had a dress, pants, a hat, sunglasses, t-shirt, tank top, shorts, sunglasses, a scarf, and a jacket all on at the same time.  I have been helping Tini out with this recycling project we are starting.  We are just making the bins and labels for the different items.  Thanks for the fiberglass and epoxy lesson at home dad!  We bought some sticky paper with the back that peeled off, for the project and then printed pictures off the computer onto the sticker paper.  Well we had all these off cuts and scraps, and I thought the kids would just love to color on these and make stickers.  So we did that too, and again they really liked it and were all proud to stick them on their books and themselves.  What kid doesn’t like stickers right?  lol  Oh in other news!  I am getting a sailboat!  Made from this drunken fisherman in the village, Hasam Boleh.  Not too thrilled about the price, $55, I’m getting ripped because I’m a foreigner, but I will still be getting a sailboat next week.  Sweet!  It will have a nice sail, oar, and even a rudder.  Pics to come later!  Well that’s all from me!  Don’t forget about father’s day on Sunday!  My dad is off on his own in the San Blas islands braving the storms out there on the boat.

Working with the fiber glass guys on the recycling project

One of our cleaning boats

Our baby on the site at the moment, Adel, the hatchery manager's daughter

Hatchery girls at work

Unloading oysters to get consolidated into new nets

No comments:

Post a Comment