Sunday, January 15, 2012

My blog!



















Hi from Bali everyone! Sorry to mix it up on you but I like blogspot format better so I had to switch it. For those of you that don’t know…I have moved to Indonesia and I’m working for a pearling company culturing oysters for their pearls. I am in the seeding area of the company, where I will manage the staff actually surgerically starting off the pearl implantation.
I arrived two days ago now and I’m still culture shocking. I’ve even been to Bali before, but its just other worldly here. Hindu statues and offerings are everywhere and its just really a unique little spot in the world. I quite like Bali. I am staying at a hotel in Sanur and I met with the staff at my company yesterday and meeting everyone went well. It is quite a large pearling operation here in Indonesia. I will be in here in Sanur until Monday and then head up to a North Bali site in Penybangan to go through some training for a week. Then its off to the island of Alor (3 hr flight from Bali) where I will be based. Loading up on mosquito repellent and coils as it sounds like dengue fever is prevelant in these places. Other than dengue and a slight chance of malaria I’ve got all my shots so I’m good! It seems like the people of Alor are different than most Indonesians. I am under the impression that the people will be similar to those living in Papua New Guinea, but I will just have to see! For example Christianity is primarily practiced in Alor instead of Hindu in Bali and Muslim throughout the rest of Indonesia.
I’m excited to get up to N Bali and start training but in the meantime I’m trying to get over this jet lag from the 30 hours of flying it took to get here. I have a hard time staying up past 7 pm and I’m wide awake and ready to go at 4 am. Not ideal. My hotel has a great pool so I’m reading up about oysters and making this blog sitting outside by the pool in the sun with purple and peach bouganvilla and pink and yellow frangipani trees (my fav!) around the pool. Hindu fountains of elephants and koi are in the pool and a flying bird statue of Garuda greets you at the hotel’s entrance. Well enough about what I’m looking at just now! I’m off to stroll along the beach front cobblestone path on Sanur’s beach (bustling with locals and tourists) and find something for lunch. The food is great by the way. A bit spicy for my tastes, but I can deal. Last night I went around the corner to a local spot for dinner and had a spicy chicken and rice dish I ate with my fingers. Chicken complete with neck! Lots of condiments including some strange fish flakes? I tried a bit of everything though. Ok well I’m off!










No comments:

Post a Comment