Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's that time again!

Time to start operations again in Alor.  More on that later though.  Big news first off!  Sugi and I saw a whale while out on the speedboat the other day!  Like a huge whale!  It first surfaced and I thought it was one of our large speedboats that capsized or something.  Thought it could have been a whale then, but it was a stretch.  It dove down and then resurfaced again.  Sugi definitely saw it the second time and confirmed with me it was a large whale!  So cool!  There were divers down at the time too, but they didn’t hear or see anything, pretty far away.  I’m not too surprised though, he was right near our long lines and it can get to 150m deep under the lines.  Perfect whale territory.  Maybe a sperm whale?  Didn’t see much of the tail or anything though. 
The managers now have new work hours in Alor, from 6am-4pm with 2 hours a day on the cleaning boats.  So not too much time during the day to get things done.  Also pretty spent after work, so I usually just watch a TV show, dinner, and bed.  There has been lots of problems with the cleaning and how thorough they are cleaning the shells.  I think the crews are getting it now though, they look a lot better.  Maybe that’s just because we are there more often though, and they work hard when we’re around?  We have been have ridiculous cleaning hours too for these workers.  Rushing and working 24 hours a day to clean shells to send to another site.  But now we aren’t even sending the shells, as there is higher than normal mortality.  Ugh!  Poor guys, I feel bad, they have been pulling these ridic shifts for nothing really. 
I have been preparing for operations here in Alor.  Checking on the health of the oysters, getting the building cleaned and ready to go.  Oh we are so ready to start.  However!  The 7 Bali technicians that were meant to arrive today are stuck in Kupang as their flight was cancelled.  So we will take it easy and not operate too many nets tomorrow afternoon.  Just start off slow.  The ops will last for around two weeks here so I will be busy!  On top of that, its soon to be the end of the month, and lots of paperwork is due at the end of the month.  So it has been and will be a bit manic around here. 
In my few hours off though, I have been studying Indonesian with an electrician here on Mondays.  He may be teaching me a bit too formal than my basic course book is teaching me.  Maybe because I’m his boss?  Could be.  It’s a bit confusing, I just want to learn basic bahasa, I don’t want to have to talk to the government or anything.  On my Saturday nights off I have been enjoying one large beer and TV show and that is a pretty great Saturday night off for me.  I walked into the village the other day and just got one beer at the shop.  At the shop they all thought it was funny me buying just 1 beer for myself.  I’m just finishing the series Revenge and its pretty great.  I can download my shows at night from the internet and then watch them the next day now so it works for me.  I’m onto the 3rd Hunger Games book already!  They are for children and are short, but I still enjoy them.  I thought the second book was great, and hope they don’t butcher the movie.  Mutiara kids is still happening on Sundays.  The amount of kids that come has really weaned down though.  Last week just 15 and this week 8.  We have been learning the names of flowers and singing children songs. 
I am getting excited for my leave in August/September.  I get to see my family in Seattle and explore some of NE with James on the boat.  I just ordered a yogurt maker online too and will pick that up when I get to WA.  Will be great to experiment with that and have fresh yogurt everyday.  Can’t wait!  I am feeling so out of touch with the world and the news at the moment.  I’m so wrapped up into work on the farm, definitely could use a break. 

Alor fam

Jackfruit and I. They are huge! Vegetable and boiled when green, and a fruit when brown.  Pretty good both ways!
 
<>


Jackfruit on the tree look so funny.  That is all I will say about that!  The star fruit tree next to my room is going crazy.  Picked 12 yesterday and made a fruit salad for everyone.  No one likes star fruit here though, too bitter they say.  I love it, there are plenty for me!





No comments:

Post a Comment